Shepards Automotive Center – For all of your automotive and marine needs!
The steering and suspension systems are important for both your safety and comfort when driving as they ensure a smooth ride as your car travels over bumpy roads. Steering and suspension are responsible for keeping your wheels firmly intact with the ground, and a major player in keeping your car from veering to one side or the road. If your vehicle’s steering and
suspension isn’t working properly, you’re in for a bumpy ride – literally.
Signs the suspension needs work:
- Nose dives – when your car nose dives forward.
- Bottom out – when your car doesn’t have enough suspension to absorb the bump it is driving over and the tires hit the bottom of your car.
- Bumpy ride – when you can feel every bump in the road.
- Hard steering / power steering – it becomes more difficult to turn your steering wheel.
- Loose steering – steering is now too easy and feels sloppy.
- Car pulls to one side when driving – when driving, you need to hold the steering wheel in place in order to keep your car going in the right direction.
- Steering wheel vibrates – from approximately 45 mph your steering wheel and car start to vibrate.
- Noises when turning a corner – the only symptom you notice is a knocking, clunking and/or squeaking noise when you turn a corner.
- Noises from the power steering unit – the only symptom you notice is a whining noise from the steering when you turn the wheel fully in one direction or the other.
- One low corner – in other words you notice one corner of your car is lower than the others when it is unloaded and parked on even ground.
It’s a good idea to schedule regular inspections of your steering and suspension systems. It is usually easier, cheaper and safer to discover and fix a problem before it snowballs, causing further consequences.
For a comprehensive list of services we offer and are in need of service
immediately call us at 978.465.5973 Monday – Friday 8am – 5pm or contact us online today.